Monday, March 14, 2005

Cold as ice

Went to see the Disney movie "Ice Princess" and I have to say I dug it, even though the cliches were flying a mile a minute and you could've seen the ending coming from 3,000 miles away. No originality, per se, but these movies often tend to connect with me -- a grizzled, sarcastic movie watcher -- more than they should.

Anyway, as I was watching I was thinking that while the Miracle on Ice game of 1980 -- when the U.S. beat the Russians -- is generally considered the gold standard of Olympic moments, it's not that all emotional. Sure, the U.S. was a huge underdog and it made a big dent in the Cold War but nobody wells up and starts bawling when we win.

I couldn't care less about figure skating but every time I see Sarah Hughes' flawless gold medal performance from the 2000 (?) Games I get choked up. It's when she starts smiling at the end and her coach starts smiling and the audience and announcers are cheering that gets me every time.

No comments: