Saturday, February 16, 2008

It's been awhile, part deux

Yeah, I usually don't take two years between posts, but my good friend Bobby P. just began his new blog and linked to mine, so now I feel an obligation to get Stu's News back up in working order. I'll try to post something every day or two to keep things fresh.

So as if we never missed a step, here goes:

Just flew back from Berlin … and boy are my arms tired (Thanks. I'll be here all week. And don't forget to tip your waitresses.)

Seriously, just had my third go-around at the Berlin Film Festival, where Variety puts out a daily paper. I've been the reviews editor on these editions -- we publish at Berlin and Cannes -- and it's akin to a working vacation.

We put in extremely long hours -- about 12 a day -- but stay at nice hotels and are able to enjoy delicious meals on the company's dime. Here's the Marriott Hotel we stayed at. Nice. And right in a great part of town called Potsdamer Platz, where the majority of the fest takes place.

Since I'm working all day, I was only able to catch two movies, but both were very good. Check out the Variety reviews of "Elegy" and "Quiet Chaos."

Luckily, I wasn't forced to endure the Madonna movie "Filth and Wisdom." I have to hand it to her for still being culturally relevant 20-something years breaking into the music scene in a big way … but that still doesn't make her a director.

It sure would nice to attend a film festival one day as a moviegoer and be able to attend 3-4 films a day. One day, just not today.

No comments: