Friday, April 22, 2005

Bad b.o.

Taking a look at the current top 10 box office leaders reminds me how it's possible for a bad movies to make a lot of money.

The Amityville Horror is No. 1 while Sahara is No. 2. Nuff said there. At No. 3 is Fever Pitch, which I liked a lot. No. 4 is Sin City, which got pretty favorable reviews. After that, though, it's Guess Who, Beauty Shop, soon followed by Miss Congeniality and The Pacifier.

OK, I get that there can't be a Million Dollar Baby or Aviator released every weekend and studios make movies to make money and couldn't really care about quality as long as their pics turn a profit, but it can be awfullly depressing to see bad movies make lots of money only because it perpetuates the belief that consumers will go see anything if it's marketed enough.

A good friend of mine calls me a movie snob, in a playful way, because I refuse to see films that are nothing more than attempts to milk $10 out of the movie fan. Maybe if moviegoers were more discriminating we'd get higher-quality films, but I know that's just a fantasy.

No comments: