Sunday, April 10, 2005

So I saved $10 on Sunday

Every year I bet $10 on one or two players to win the Masters but for several reasons — one of which was just being too lazy - I didn't this year. And I always bet on Chris DiMarco, who plays extraordinarily well there. DiMarco went off at 50-1!

This year, he was phenomenal. He got off to his usual great start and collapsed at the end of round three before battling Tiger over the entire fourth round before going down in the playoff.

I've said it before and this year proves it once again, the final round of the Masters -- specifically the back 9 -- is the greatest sporting event, if not the greatest TV event -- of the year.

Tiger's chip on 16 might be one of the greatest shots I've ever seen. And the drama of the ball hanging on the rim of the cup...and...then...slowly...falling...in...with...the...Nike... logo...in...perfect....placement was one for the ages.

Every year for the final round I go to my friend Joe's house and we eat pizza, chips and analyze every shot by every golfer. It's great fun and something I look forward to every year. One of these days, Joe and I will go to Augusta to watch in person but until that happens, we have a blast just watching on TV.

A tradition like no other... indeed!!

1 comment:

DR SHAP said...

Stu,
That is quite a story.

As I am looking at the calendar, I see the Kentucky derby is a few weeks away, is there a special horse that you are not going to bet that will come in second place??
Could a, would a, should a….