Sunday, April 27, 2008

All caught up on Tivo


'Cept for the last two episodes of the HBO miniseries "John Adams," I caught up and watched everything on Tivo this weekend.

Yup, two episodes of "Back to You" -- not sure why I'm still watching, but I feel obligated to finish the season out and finish what I started -- plus two episodes of "ER" and my usual weekend contingency: "Ebert and Roeper at the Movies," ESPN's "The Sports Reporters," "CBS Sunday Morning" and "60 Minutes." I'm feeling very accomplished now.

I even was able to catch "Cloverfield" on DVD, which I somehow missed in the theater. I thought it was a fine thriller, with a big-ass monster heading up and down Manhattan. The hand-held camera, which has never bothered me in such stellar shows as "Homicide," didn't do me any favors, though, and I honestly felt a little nauseous at the end of the movie. If I'd seen it in the theater, I would've had a hard time keeping my Raisinets down.

I caught "Lost" on Friday night -- a day after its broadcast airing -- and I absolutely love the show but I don't invest as much time and thought into it as others, who suss out every possible theory as to why Ben does this, why Jack does that and everything in between. I just enjoy it for its pure entertainment value, and showrunners Damon and Carlton always outdo themselves on that front.

It was a good weekend to stay inside, as the temperatues in L.A. hit near record highs. It got toasty playing golf Saturday morning in Burbank, though our 7:30 starting time made it quite bareable. If we had teed off a couple of hours later, we would've fried.

I'm looking forward to seeing a couple of movies this week that I've heard great things about. My Variety colleague Eddie Cockrell, a great film critic out of Australia, saw a small film called "Shotgun Stories" a year ago while we were at the Berlin Film Festival and gave it a rave. It's now just opened in the States and I'm going to try and catch it on Wednesday.

Tomorrow night is "Iron Man," the Marvel Comic-turned-feature film, which has gotten great -pre-release buzz. It needs to be a big box office winner, too, as I choose it in my summer box office pool. Go Robert Downey Jr.!

No comments: